Lightweight Concrete Planters
Why buy expensive concrete planters when just a bit of DIY know-how and leftover foam packing materials are all you need to create your own stylish and lightweight planters.
Materials and Tools:
leftover packing foam or old foam containers
staples and hammer or staple gun
concrete mix (fine rather than coarse)
plastic container for mixing concrete
plastic or rubber gloves
plastic putty knife for spreading concrete
1. Seperate pieces of packing foam with a serrated knife and/or glue foam sections together to get the desired shape for the container. Carve drainage holes in the bottom of the container.
2. Cover foam container with chicken wire, this will give the concrete a surface to stick to. Use staples to tack down the chicken wire anywhere it sticks up from the foam.
3. Following manufacturers' directions, mix concrete until it's the consistency of cookie dough. If desired, add concrete colorant to the mix for a tinted look.
4. Wearing plastic or rubber gloves, cover all sides of the container completely with concrete.
5. Let the container dry, then seal, paint and plant.