Homemade Costume Wings
Wings are a fun thing any time of year. The authors explain how easy it is to create your own butterfly, angel or fairy wings.
It doesn't have to be special holiday for children to adorn a costume and play make-believe in their own imaginary land. Kids will dance and delight at any time in these easy to make butterfly, angel or fairy wings.
The wings are made from three coat hangers and can be tailored to any size or style.
Grab the kids and dig through your scrap ribbons, sequins and other embellishments because this project is great family fun. Get creative, get inspired and get crafting.
Materials and Tools:
three wire coat hangers
two pairs of 3X pantyhose
2 yds. elastic
needle and thread
two large silk flowers
Optional materials (for decorative purposes):
fabric glitter paint
rhinestones, pearls and /or sequins
1. Bend one coat hanger into a loose oval/triangle shape to form one of the upper sections of the wings. Work with the curves already in the hanger, but do reshape it so it does not look like a hanger. Think butterfly wings ... think graceful.
2. Secure the hook by bending it back. When you are satisfied with the shape of the hanger, shape a second hanger to match the first one. This will make a matching set of frames for your upper wings.
3. Shape the third hanger into the bottom of the wings by bending the hanger at its center, bringing it toward the hook to create two little wing shapes. Secure the hook by bending it back.
4. Place the three hangers together with all hooks facing the center. You should have two larger oval wings on the sides, and the small bottom piece should slightly overlap both wings. This should look like a butterfly.
5. Use the duct tape to attach the hooks of the hangers together. Be careful to fully cover the hooks, using as much tape as needed to secure the frame.
6. You can buy colored pantyhose, or you can use fabric dye to tint white pantyhose.
7. Lay out one pair of pantyhose and cut 20 inches from each toe end. Working on the bottom section of the wings, stretch each cut leg over the two sections. Pull tight and gather in the center. Loop, pull and twist the excess pantyhose around the center-taped section. Secure with a whipstitch.
8. Lay out the second pair of pantyhose and cut it 30 inches from each toe end. Working on the two upper sections of the wings, stretch each leg over the two sections. Pull tight and gather in the center. Loop, pull and twist the excess pantyhose around the center-taped section. Secure with a whipstitch.
9. To attach the straps, cut the elastic in half so that you have two one-yard pieces. Fold each piece in half and wrap it underneath one upper-side panel of the wings and tie a knot to secure. Repeat for the other side.
10. Place the wings on your back and bring one elastic piece over your shoulder and the other piece under your underarm. Tie a knot to secure. Repeat for the other side.
11. Hot glue the large flowers in the center of the wings to cover the duct tape and stitching.
12. Embellish the wings with glitter marabou trim, ribbons, pearls, fabric paint, sequins and rhinestones.
Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza cohost Creative Juice. For more information log on to www.cathiefilian.com.)