Fabric Cutaway Pillows
Denim and suede are the perfect fabrics for creating these rocking patterned pillows.
Materials and Tools:
two pieces of fabric cut 1" longer and wider than the pillow form
ballpoint machine needle
small, sharp scissors
basic image to cut out
Aleene’s Stop Fraying
hand-sewing needle and thread
1. Layer scrap fabric, one fabric piece and image together in the area where you want the design. Begin with the accent fabric (right side up) underneath the front of pillow fabric piece. Next, place the paper image on top of the T-shirt. Use sewing pins to pin the layers together.
2. Stitch around the image, through all layers, using a short stitch length and a ballpoint needle. Use contrasting thread for extra pop and stitch slowly around the details.
3. Remove the pins and tear away the image. Use small, sharp scissors to remove the pillow fabric layer, trimming as close to the stitching line as possible.
4. On the back side, pink the edges of the accent fabric to prevent fraying.
5. Sew the panels, wrong sides together, leaving an opening to turn the pillow right side out. Insert the pillow form and hand-stitch the opening closed.
6. If you are working with woven fabrics, use Aleene’s Stop Fraying to prevent the cut-away portion of the pillow fabric from fraying. Apply Stop Fraying to the raw edges with a paintbrush.
Rock on with cool fabric cutaways that let you capture your favorite shapes and images for t-shirts, jackets and more.
How to Make Tablecloth Weights for a Picnic Table
Here is an easy-breeze way to hold a tablecloth in place at a picnic or barbeque. Old pillowcases, ribbon, curtain hardware and rocks are used to make these festive yet functional weight clips.
Puppy Party Dress
Your pampered pup is sure to be the belle of the ball in this festive Christmas party dress.
Wardrobe Makeover with Trim
Decorative fabric trim gives even humdrum clothing and accessories a chic new look.
Folk Rag Doll
How to make a traditional folk rag doll, starting with the basic doll form made of fabric and stuffing.
The DIY Network Needle Arts Glossary
Confused by some of the needle arts terms you hear or read? Here's a list of some of the more commonly used terms with explanations of their meaning, courtesy of the DIY Network.
Basic sewing knowledge and castoff buttons are all you need to create a one-of-a-kind bracelet.
Toaster Pastry iPod Cozy
Stylishly protect your iPod by creating this playful and practical Toaster Pastry iPod Cozy. This is a great, quick project for young crafters or those with basic sewing skills.
Simply Stylish Tote
Tote bags are a practical and stylish gift to give everyone on your gift-giving list, simply change the fabric pattern to suit the tote bag's recipient. This bag can be used as a diaper bag, shopping tote, knitting bag or school bag.
Jeweled Home Frames
Learn how to combine jewelry and old buttons to create a one-of-a-kind picture frame.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials