A Glamorous Witch Costume
Materials and Tools:
broom skirt (black)
poet blouse (cotton preferably)
wide black belt
craft paint (black, silver, white)
fabric dye (pearl grey)
assorted black and silver trim
1/2-yd. black tulle
black craft foam
silver glitter glue
1/4-yd. red tulle
plastic drop cloth (optional)
Note: The key is to utilize old clothes you already have or easy-to-find store bought pieces. Use what we did as an inspiration to make your own personalized witch outfit. Crank up your imagination and get glam!
1. Follow instructions on store-bought fabric dye and dye the white poet blouse grey. Allow to dry.
2. Mix 2-3 tablespoons of black craft paint for every 1.5 cups of water and fill a spray bottle with mixture.
3. Prepare to age and "bewitch" your blouse by laying it outside on the grass or on top of a large plastic drop cloth. Lightly spritz entire blouse with the solution to get a speckled aged look. Then layer on more paint solution at the bottom edges of the bodice and sleeve cuffs until the edges are almost black, thinning out into the light grey going up the blouse. Refill spray bottle as needed. Allow to dry.
4. Use scissors to cut and tear ragged strips along the bottom of the broom skirt. Repeat step 2 and 3 with white and silver craft paints and spray layers of color onto the skirt. Remember to keep heavier layers towards the bottom and thin it out going up the skirt. Allow to dry.
5. Glam up the blouse by trimming the cuffs and neckline with sparkly ribbon or black braid trim. Then distress cuffs and bottom edge of bodice by ripping the seams open with a seam ripper.
6. Stuff hat with 1/4 yd black tulle to make the peak stand up. Glam up the brim using Fabric-Tac and some glitzy trim. Add 1/4 yard twisted black tulle around crown base & secure with spot of hot glue. Add some feathers or glittered plastic spiders to tulle with more hot glue.
7. Turn your favorite Mary Janes or black heels into witchy shoes. Use our buckle template (above, right) to cut two buckle shapes from sticky backed, black craft foam. Cover both with silver glitter paint and allow to dry. Weave folded piece of red tulle through and over center section.
8. Peel off sticky backing and secure buckles to shoes with bobby pins. Can hot glue to shoes for more permanent use.
For more fun Halloween projects, pumpkin-carving templates and spooky-good videos, visit Halloween Pumpkin Palooza!