Ribbon Flower Accents
Ribbon flowers can be used as decorative accents, gift tie-ons or gathered into a soft, elegant bouquet.
Materials and Tools:
3/4 yard of 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon (for center)
1-1/4 yard of 1" to 2" (for petals)
Thread to match ribbon
Heavy-gauge wire stem cut in 12" to 18" lengths
Silk or velvet leaves
1. To create center of flower, cut 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon into 6 pieces that measure 4" to 4-1/2".
2. Make a knot halfway between the ends. Fold the pieces of ribbon so that the knot is on top.
3. Stitch all the pieces together 1/2" from the end. The longer pieces (if there are any) should be used in the center, with shorter pieces sewn around it.
4. For petals, cut the petal ribbon in 6 pieces 7" long. Fold each 7" piece in half and sew a running stitch 1/2" from both ends, sewing them together. Pull the running stitch tight, knot it and cut the thread.
5. Place three petals around the center and stitch to center 1/2" from ends.
6. To attach the flower to stem, apply glue to one end of wire and stick into center of the sewn end of flower. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly.
7. Stretch the floral tape slightly and wrap around 1/2" of the petals sewn around the bottom of flower. Continue wrapping floral tape in a diagonal spiral down the stem, adding leaves (by their stems) as desired. After reaching bottom of wire, simply cut or tear tape.