Recycled Aluminum Flowers
Don't toss those old cans, turn them into funky flowers that add a colorful touch to any garden. Recycling has never looked so good.
Materials and Tools:
utility scissors or tin snips
colorful aluminum beverage cans
metal rods or small wooden dowels
hot glue gun
1. Wash empty cans and allow them to dry. Use utility scissors or tin snips to remove top and bottom of cans to create a rectangular sheet of aluminum.
2. Lay aluminum sheets flat and on the plain metal side (inside of can) draw two basic flower shapes, one larger than the other. Cut out flower shapes and rub edges with steel wool to remove burrs or sharp edges.
3. Stack the graduated flower shapes and punch a hole through the center of both layers with an awl and hammer. Insert envelope clasp through hole, open prongs and attach them to the back of flower with hot glue. Bend or curl flower petals to create a fanciful shape.
4. Attach flower to a metal rod or wooden dowel by feeding thin-gauge wire through envelope clasp and wrapping wire around end of dowel.
Copper Garden Border
Learn how to edge garden beds with copper tubing. It's a hip departure from run-of-the-mill wire edging, and the copper takes on a beautiful patina as it's exposed to the elements.
Learn about several plant varieties and the planting information for each zone.
Kitchen Storage Solutions for Recycling
Recycling is a part of daily life in most homes. Follow these tips on how to adapt your kitchen to make recycling a simple process.
Decking Materials: Aluminum Decking
Learn all about aluminum decking, one of the most durable and long-lasting decking materials.
Flowering Bulbs for Fall Planting
Plant these bulbs in fall for a glorious show of color in your spring or summer garden.
More Flowering Plants
Learn about more than a dozen plant varieties and the planting information for each zone.
Fairy Flower Dolls
Transform old dolls into fairy flower dolls.
Coffee Filter Flowers
Make bright, imaginative paper flowers from a surprising source.
How to Update Your Kitchen with Stainless Steel Paint
Do you want to remodel your kitchen, but can't afford new appliances? Consider using paint to get the high-end look of stainless steel.
Forcing Flowering Woody Branches Indoors
Extend the season by forcing branches from spring-blooming trees and shrubs to flower indoors.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- How to Compost Leaves
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Cloches and Cold Frames
- Make a Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
- Fall Decorating for the Front Yard
- Autumn Maintenance Tips