Simple Tips for Saving Energy
These ideas for conserving energy throughout your home will help you cut back on costly heating bills.
A large portion of your energy costs will be devoted to heating your home. For this reason, it's important to make sure your heating system runs as efficiently as possible.
Here are some good tips for saving energy and avoiding high heating bills:
- Before purchasing a furnace for your home, check its A.F.U.E. rating, which stands for the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. Each furnace has this rating on it from the factory. The standard is about 80 percent, which measures how much heat goes into the home as opposed to going up the flue pipe. So if you have 80-percent efficient furnace, 80 percent of the heat generated in the heat exchanger is going into your home and 20 percent is going up the flue pipe and is not being used at all.
- If you purchase a heat pump, you'll want to check its H.S.P.F. rating, which stands for Heating Seasonal Performance Factor. This rating works basically the same as the AFUE rating for gas furnaces. Based on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best), a minimum efficiency heat pump will rate approximately 6.6, while high efficiency units will have a rating of 8.0 or higher.
- Change air filters for your heat pump or furnace on a regular basis. A dirty filter increases the air pressure drop in the system, which ultimately uses more energy or decreases the air flow to a point where the system isn't working properly.
- Have your builder or a heating specialist check the heat ducts for leakage. An HVAC professional can repair any leaks or gaps that are found.
- Weatherize your home by weather stripping or caulking around doors and windows. This will help keep heat from your system inside the home.
- Add programmable thermostats to your central heating system. This will help save energy by not heating your home when you're away.
- Keep obstructions away from heating vents. This will help promote better heat flow throughout the house.
HVAC: Home Tips
These maintenance tips will help homeowners keep their air conditioning units running efficiently.
Plumbing Emergency Tips
Ed the Plumber offers tips on the tools needed to make a plumber's emergency kit and what to do during plumbing emergencies.
Tips on Choosing and Using Filler Compounds
Choosing a filler compound depends on what type of surface needs to be filled. Use this guide to filler compounds to pick the best one for the job.
Tips on Solving Common Toilet Problems
Master plumber Ed Del Grande explains how even the average homeowner can easily fix common toilet problems.
DIY Money-Saving Kitchen Remodeling Tips
Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
Tips on Painting Furniture
Learn these tips on painting furniture to ensure that your next furniture painting project is a success.
Six Tips to Light Up Your Kitchen
Give potential homebuyers a fresh look at your kitchen with a combination of new ambient, task and decorative lighting.
Tips on Using Paint Sprayers or Paint Guns
Paint sprayers can save a lot of time when painting large contoured areas. Learn these tips on using paint sprayers from DIY Network.
Tips for Choosing the Right Countertop
There are many more options for countertops than laminate. Here are some tips on how to choose a countertop that's right for you.
Tips on Choosing Adhesives
Adhesives, or glues, work in different ways and each is suited to specific surfaces. Use this guide to choose the best adhesive for any project.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables