Maintaining a Fireplace and Chimney
Learn proper fireplace and chimney maintenance tips along with a few extra suggestions on proper home maintenance before and during the cold-weather months.
Maintaining a Chimney
- Check the chimney flashing. Check the bricks and mortar to make sure it is intact.
- Remove any plants or moss growing between the bricks.
- Check the chimney crown and fill any cracks or gaps with cement patch.
- Remove the chimney gap and check the flue liner for damage or obstructions.
- Check the fireplace for cracks or damage to the firebox.
- Look up the flue liner to look for creosote buildup.
- Remove the ashes with a flat shovel and dispose in a metal bucket. Ashes can be scattered on compost pile or in the garden.
- Have the fireplace professionally cleaned every year.
- Check the damper for proper operation.
- To clean stains in the firebox use chemical cleaner with a metal brush.
- The idea that stuffing fiberglass insulation into cracks will stop air filtration is a common misconception. Fiberglass is a good insulator and makes a great furnace filter, but it doesn't stop air infiltration. It may slow it down some, but caulk or closed cell foam is the best way to stop air filtration.
- Check in the crawl space to make sure the insulation is intact and that no critters have set up winter camp.
- It is always a good idea to replenish flashlight batteries. Winter brings ice storms and power outages.
- Test the smoke alarm and replace the batteries if they have not been changed in a while.
- Stock up on winter supplies before the first big snow storm arrives — a good snow shovel, ice melt and scrappers.
- And finally, after a big snow, check around the attic and basement for leaks.
Tips on Cleaning and Maintaining a Fireplace
Cleaning and maintaining a fireplace can be a DIY job, but before the chimney is cleaned, key areas must be checked. Use these tips to ensure fireplace and chimney safety.
The Anatomy of a Fireplace: Flues, Chimneys and More
Learn about the various parts that make up a fireplace and when they need to be repaired or replaced.
How to Close Off or Open Up an Old Fireplace
Learn the proper steps to take when blocking up a fireplace or exposing an old fireplace.
Components of a House Frame
Learn about the different components that make up typical house framing.
How to Inspect the Exterior of Your Home
Prevent problems before they begin -- learn what to look for and how to properly maintain the exterior structure of your home.
How to Safely Build and Maintain Arches and Pergolas
Before starting a garden project, it's necessary to take the right safety precautions and learn how to maintain your arch or pergola for a lifetime.
How to Inspect Your Home's Interior
Home maintenance can prevent problems before they begin -- learn what you should regularly check for signs of potenial issues.
How to Choose and Maintain Climbing Plants
Arches and pergolas shine when adorned by the right climbing plants. Learn how to choose and maintain your blooms with this gardening guide.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
How to Care for Different Types of Fabrics
Learn the best way to care for and clean the most commonly used fabrics found in your closet.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials