Maintain a Washer and Dryer
DIY Network experts share valuable tips for cleaning and maintaining a washer and dryer.
- It is best to replace the washing machine with blow-proof washing machine hoses, but first clean and lubricate the washing machine shut-off valves. This should be done every spring. Dirt can accumulate on the valve stems and restrict their movement. Turning the valves once in a while throughout the year also helps make sure they are not seizing.
- To avoid a mess, it is a good idea to drain the hoses once they are disconnected. When connecting the new hoses, make sure each hose goes from the correct temperature valve to the correct intake nozzle on the machine. Once everything is connected turn on the water and check for leaks.
- To level the washing machine (and dryer) turn the foot in the direction that adjusts it appropriately up or down.
Once everything is connected, turn on the water and check for leaks.
- Check and adjust the dryer vent. Find the most direct path to the outside vent, but leave some slack so there is no strain on the hose. Mark the proper length and cut off the excess with a utility knife.
- If a nozzle is being used to couple the hose to the outdoor vent, secure it with heat rated foil tape. Two layers of foil tape are best around these joints.
- Vacuum the hose, the vent on the machine and the outdoor vent before reattaching the hose. Vacuum the lint screen receptacle.
- Keeping lint under control is critical both for cleanliness and for household safety. Clean the lint screen after every dryer cycle.
Use these must-do fall maintenance tips to keep your house in shape and help keep you warm this winter.
Follow these tips for cleaning and repairing your outdoor deck.
Caring for your STAINMASTER® carpet is easy. Follow these four steps and your carpet will feel great, look wonderful and last for years.
Check out these tips for recognizing problems with a water heater and keeping it maintained.
Preventive maintenance is crucial to the value of your home. Keep your place in tiptop shape with regular check-ups to save you the headache and cost of emergency repairs.
Learn proper fireplace and chimney maintenance along with a few extra suggestions before and during the cold weather months.
These tips and general information on cleaning and preserving roof shingles will help keep a home looking maintained in the long term.
Use these simple tips to keep your carpet looking good for years to come.