Maintain a Washer and Dryer
DIY Network experts share valuable tips for cleaning and maintaining a washer and dryer.
- It is best to replace the washing machine with blow-proof washing machine hoses, but first clean and lubricate the washing machine shut-off valves. This should be done every spring. Dirt can accumulate on the valve stems and restrict their movement. Turning the valves once in a while throughout the year also helps make sure they are not seizing.
- To avoid a mess, it is a good idea to drain the hoses once they are disconnected. When connecting the new hoses, make sure each hose goes from the correct temperature valve to the correct intake nozzle on the machine. Once everything is connected turn on the water and check for leaks.
- To level the washing machine (and dryer) turn the foot in the direction that adjusts it appropriately up or down.
Once everything is connected, turn on the water and check for leaks.
- Check and adjust the dryer vent. Find the most direct path to the outside vent, but leave some slack so there is no strain on the hose. Mark the proper length and cut off the excess with a utility knife.
- If a nozzle is being used to couple the hose to the outdoor vent, secure it with heat rated foil tape. Two layers of foil tape are best around these joints.
- Vacuum the hose, the vent on the machine and the outdoor vent before reattaching the hose. Vacuum the lint screen receptacle.
- Keeping lint under control is critical both for cleanliness and for household safety. Clean the lint screen after every dryer cycle.
How to Choose a Color Scheme: 8 Tips to Get Started
Discover your color preferences with eight tips for picking perfect color palettes.
Five Small-Room Rules to Break
Reimagine small spaces in your home with insider decorating tips from top designers.
How to Accessorize a Laundry Room
Before a laundry room can be "pressed" into service, it needs some items that serve as decorative focal points and functional accessories.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
Laundry Basics: How to Sort, Wash, Dry and Fold
Learn the four basic steps to making laundry easier, plus the secrets to help make your clothes last longer and look better.
Tips on Cleaning and Maintaining a Fireplace
Cleaning and maintaining a fireplace can be a DIY job, but before the chimney is cleaned, key areas must be checked. Use these tips to ensure fireplace and chimney safety.
How to Choose and Maintain Climbing Plants
Arches and pergolas shine when adorned by the right climbing plants. Learn how to choose and maintain your blooms with this gardening guide.
How to Close Off or Open Up an Old Fireplace
Learn the proper steps to take when blocking up a fireplace or exposing an old fireplace.
How to Maintain a Stainless-Steel Kitchen Sink
Kitchen Renovations host Paul Ryan gives tips on how to keep a stainless-steel kitchen sink looking new.
The Basics Of Nontoxic Finishes
Follow these tips to apply nontoxic finishes to wood.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden