Maintain a Washer and Dryer
DIY Network experts share valuable tips for cleaning and maintaining a washer and dryer.
- It is best to replace the washing machine with blow-proof washing machine hoses, but first clean and lubricate the washing machine shut-off valves. This should be done every spring. Dirt can accumulate on the valve stems and restrict their movement. Turning the valves once in a while throughout the year also helps make sure they are not seizing.
- To avoid a mess, it is a good idea to drain the hoses once they are disconnected. When connecting the new hoses, make sure each hose goes from the correct temperature valve to the correct intake nozzle on the machine. Once everything is connected turn on the water and check for leaks.
- To level the washing machine (and dryer) turn the foot in the direction that adjusts it appropriately up or down.
Once everything is connected, turn on the water and check for leaks.
- Check and adjust the dryer vent. Find the most direct path to the outside vent, but leave some slack so there is no strain on the hose. Mark the proper length and cut off the excess with a utility knife.
- If a nozzle is being used to couple the hose to the outdoor vent, secure it with heat rated foil tape. Two layers of foil tape are best around these joints.
- Vacuum the hose, the vent on the machine and the outdoor vent before reattaching the hose. Vacuum the lint screen receptacle.
- Keeping lint under control is critical both for cleanliness and for household safety. Clean the lint screen after every dryer cycle.
The right appliance can make an enormous difference to the way you use and enjoy your kitchen. With so many models and styles of appliances available, it is important to research before you buy.
When remodeling a master bathroom, consider incorporating luxury into the design to create a customized retreat.
One of the first steps in a kitchen remodel is determining what type of utilities you will need and their location. Find out how to plan for utility placement and what steps you'll need to take after that.
Put a new spin on freshening up with a guest bathroom redo. Five petite retreats with punch display dramatic color, texture, and tile for big impact in a small space.
Reimagine small spaces in your home with insider decorating tips from top designers.
A kitchen can often be updated by simply changing cabinet doors and hardware. Learn how to modify the layout to fit new appliances and additional storage.
Discover your color preferences with eight tips for picking perfect color palettes.
Check out some of the newest technologies and reclaimed materials that are becoming the hottest products in flooring.
Today's bathtub faucets go beyond functional, with designs and styles available to fit any tub you choose. Understand your options first before hitting the showroom floor.
If you're making an investment in commercial-style kitchen equipment, you'd better know how to take care of it.