Tips for Removing Garage Rust and Oil Stains
Find tips for removing stubborn stains from a garage floor.
- To remove oil stains from a garage floor, sprinkle regular or clumping cat litter heavily on the stain. Then, take your foot and really twist the litter into the stain. For about two weeks, every time you think about it, come out and twist, adding more litter as needed. Sweep away and then treat with oven cleaner and then rinse with a hose.
- For old stains, spray a heavy coat of oven cleaner on the stain. Wait 15 minutes and then take a brush and really scrub it. Let it soak 15 minutes more and then rinse with a hose.
- A laundry presoak works well on just about any stain. Put it on and leave it for 30 minutes and then agitate it with a brush and rinse.
- Another method is to wet the stain with a brush and then sprinkle on some automatic dishwasher detergent. Agitate it with a brush and then rinse with a hose.
- Clean cement out of direct sunlight and in temperatures between 50-70 degrees.
Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
These basic tips from Ask DIY home repair expert Brad Staggs address commonly asked questions about cleaning and repairing gutters.
How to Care for Solid-Surface Countertops
Preserve the look of your granite, marble or tile countertop with these maintenance tips.
Tips for Cleaning Tile, Wood and Vinyl Floors
Get expert tips, techniques and recipes for cleaning all types of floors, from ceramic tile to hardwood.
Laundry Basics: How to Sort, Wash, Dry and Fold
Learn the four basic steps to making laundry easier, plus the secrets to help make your clothes last longer and look better.
The Most-Efficient, Easiest Way to Clean Your Bathroom
Learn how to make quick work out of cleaning your bathroom, and get tips on the best solutions to use on fixtures, faucets and walls.
Tips and Tricks for Easy Kitchen Cleanup
See how to clean faucets, appliances and countertops quickly, thoroughly and in an eco-friendly way.
Cleaning Patio Furniture
When it's nice out, get patio and backyard furniture ready for company with these tips.
How to Remove Stains From Walls and Wallpaper
Check out these expert tips for removing smudges, smears and fingerprints from your walls.
How to Clean Windows Like a Pro
Learn the three simple steps and the proper tools you need to make your windows look as if they were professionally cleaned.
Laundry Care: How to Remove Tough Stains
Learn the six secrets to getting rid of stains caused by wine, coffee, makeup and more.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables