The Many Uses for Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used for deodorizing, cleaning, cooking, beauty rituals, science projects, putting out fires and more.
Use baking soda for cleaning these kitchen items:
- Trash can, diaper pail, hamper
- Garbage disposal
- Tea stain on mug
- Burnt-on food
- Non-abrasive stovetop cleaner
Quick tips: Sprinkle a little baking soda in a gym bag to keep it smelling fresh. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to liquid laundry detergent for fresh-smelling and cleaner clothes.
Baking soda also can be used for personal hygiene:
- Bath: Add 1/2 cup to a warm bath to soothe and condition skin.
- Facial: Add 3 parts baking soda to 1 part olive oil, then apply in a circular motion after washing face with regular soap. It works on dry skin on the body as well.
- Teeth: Brush your teeth with it – and it’s also used to clean dentures, retainers and mouth guards. Add 2 teaspoons to a bowl of water.
- Foot soak: Soak feet in 3 tablespoons to a basin of warm water.
- Bee stings: Make a paste of water and baking soda to soothe irritation and remove stinger.
Baking soda has dozens of uses in the kitchen:
- Washing produce
- Extinguishing fires
Since it has so many uses, separate boxes of baking soda may be bought for cooking, cleaning and bathing.