The Many Uses for Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used for deodorizing, cleaning, cooking, beauty rituals, science projects, putting out fires and more.
Use baking soda for cleaning these kitchen items:
- Trash can, diaper pail, hamper
- Garbage disposal
- Tea stain on mug
- Burnt-on food
- Non-abrasive stovetop cleaner
Quick tips: Sprinkle a little baking soda in a gym bag to keep it smelling fresh. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to liquid laundry detergent for fresh-smelling and cleaner clothes.
Baking soda also can be used for personal hygiene:
- Bath: Add 1/2 cup to a warm bath to soothe and condition skin.
- Facial: Add 3 parts baking soda to 1 part olive oil, then apply in a circular motion after washing face with regular soap. It works on dry skin on the body as well.
- Teeth: Brush your teeth with it – and it’s also used to clean dentures, retainers and mouth guards. Add 2 teaspoons to a bowl of water.
- Foot soak: Soak feet in 3 tablespoons to a basin of warm water.
- Bee stings: Make a paste of water and baking soda to soothe irritation and remove stinger.
Baking soda has dozens of uses in the kitchen:
- Washing produce
- Extinguishing fires
Since it has so many uses, separate boxes of baking soda may be bought for cooking, cleaning and bathing.
Top 10 Uses for Vinegar
Vinegar is an inexpensive, healthy way to clean and disinfect your home.
Tips for Cleaning Using Vodka
Think outside the martini glass with these practical tips for using vodka as a cleaning agent.
How to Care for Different Types of Fabrics
Learn the best way to care for and clean the most commonly used fabrics found in your closet.
Tips for Cleaning Tile, Wood and Vinyl Floors
Get expert tips, techniques and recipes for cleaning all types of floors, from ceramic tile to hardwood.
How to Care for Solid-Surface Countertops
Preserve the look of your granite, marble or tile countertop with these maintenance tips.
Tips and Tricks for Easy Kitchen Cleanup
See how to clean faucets, appliances and countertops quickly, thoroughly and in an eco-friendly way.
Tips for Removing Garage Rust and Oil Stains
Find tips for removing stubborn stains from a garage floor.
Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
These basic tips from Ask DIY home repair expert Brad Staggs address commonly asked questions about cleaning and repairing gutters.
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Find 10 household uses for lemons. They are a natural disinfectant, stain remover and are wonderful for polishing metal. Also, lemons are inexpensive and eco-friendly.
Polishing Wood Furniture
Learn how to make your own natural furniture polish and get expert tips and techniques for cleaning wood.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden