How to Clean a Tile Floor
Cleaning a tile floor is easy with these tips from DIY experts.
Care and Cleaning Tips for Tile
- If unglazed, seal with special sealer. If glazed, seal mortar between tiles. If not sealed or glazed, it can be stained by grease. Glazed tile is easily scratched like porcelain enamel.
- The best and easiest way to clean a ceramic tile floor is to scrub it with an electric floor washer or polisher-scrubber. The thorough cleaning action should brighten the tile and joints. Use a solution of 1/4 cup low-sudsing detergent, or 1-2 tablespoons of either washing soda or tri-sodium phosphate or commercial floor cleaning powder in one gallon water. Rinse well.
- When further treatment is needed, particularly for the grout, apply a solution of water and chlorine bleach (liquid or powdered). Let it stand for 20 minutes or so, then mop the floor, rinse thoroughly and wipe dry. Wax the floor for protection and easier care.
5 Ways to Personalize Tile Flooring
Here are five quick ways to personalize tile flooring.
Tips for Cleaning Tile, Wood and Vinyl Floors
Get expert tips, techniques and recipes for cleaning all types of floors, from ceramic tile to hardwood.
How to Prep Before Installing Floor Tiles
Learn how best to lay out and prepare for a tile floor installation.
Natural Cork Flooring
Installing and caring for natural cork flooring is simple with these tips.
How to Keep Laminate Floors Clean and Shiny
Check out these quick tips on how to maintain laminate floors and keep them looking new.
How to Care for Hardwood Flooring
Learning about hardwood flooring is crucial to caring for it properly. Our DIY experts explain the basics.
How to Clean Windows Like a Pro
Learn the three simple steps and the proper tools you need to make your windows look as if they were professionally cleaned.
Ceramic Tile Flooring Tips
DIY Network experts share 10 tips about ceramic tile flooring.
Check out some of the newest technologies and reclaimed materials that are becoming the hottest products in flooring.
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Find 10 household uses for lemons. They are a natural disinfectant, stain remover and are wonderful for polishing metal. Also, lemons are inexpensive and eco-friendly.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden