By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
TIP: Maintaining a healthy lawn can be easier than you think.
1. Keep mower blade sharp; sharp blade cuts grass cleanly, which helps prevent disease.
2. Use mulching setting to mulch grass; leave clipping on lawn to fertilize soil.
3. Water deeply once or twice a week.
TIP: Daily watering makes roots shallow and encourages thatch.
TIP: Use a rain gauge to keep track of how much you have watered.
TIP: Water should soak in 6 inches; test ground with 6-inch screwdriver; if it pushes in easily, ground is wet enough.
TIP: Don’t mix fertilizers; chemical balance will be off.
4. To make lawn care easy think about lithium-ion batteries.
TIP: Lithium-ion now has power and run time of gasoline.
5. Build shelf for recharging.
TIP: Tack 1-inch strips around edges to keep things from falling off.
TIP: Energy-Star charger uses only 2 cents worth of electricity to fully charge a 40-volt battery.
TIP: Get two batteries so you can use one while the other is recharging.
6. Use French cleat to hang shelf on wall.
7. Store tools in garden shed.
TIP: No gasoline means no maintenance, draining, or winterizing.
TIP: Hang trimmers vertically from double-pronged brackets or hooks; store chainsaw in cabinet.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.