By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
Mulch or pine straw
Paint or stain
Stainless or galvanized chain
Stainless screw eyes
TIP: Expand outdoor living in a small space with a welcoming garden swing.
1. Choose a location away from the house, shady if possible.
2. For privacy, put in lengths of fencing or tall evergreens.
3. For easy mowing, put mulch or pine straw around the trunks.
4. To hold swing, build A-frame out of 4x4s and 2x4s.
5. Stain or paint all pieces and seal with polyurethane before attaching them with braces.
6. Place frame so swing has 4-foot arc.
TIP: Four legs make frame stable; they don’t need concrete footings.
7. Hang swing 17 inches from ground using stainless or galvanized chain and stainless screw eyes.
8. Build steppingstone pathway to house.
TIP: Dig holes twice thickness of stones and fill halfway with sand; top of stones should be level with ground.
TIP: If path is diagonal, space will look larger.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.