By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
New deck boards and/or railing
TIP: Keep your deck in top shape with simple fixes.
1. Use a screwdriver to check decking and railing for rot and replace damaged wood.
2. Install new boards with grain rings curving upwards; this helps keep them flat.
3. To remove stains caused by algae, mildew, and mold, spray deck with environmentally safe cleaner, which requires no brushing or rinsing; stains will disappear automatically within days.
TIP: Choose day with no rain in forecast for 24 hours.
TIP: Protect nearby landscaping by hosing it down.
TIP: Reapply cleaner every 12 to 18 months to prevent stains from reappearing.
4. To cut down on future maintenance, trim brush and trees to let in more sunlight.
5. Keep sprinklers and gutters from splashing water on deck.
6. Remove leaves and other debris regularly.
Cabinets: Antiquing (00:02:17)
How to Paint a Hardwood Floor (00:03:50)
Superhero Man Cave (00:03:59)
Remote-Control Attic Lift (00:01:21)
Outdoor Fireplace (05:03)
Build a Concrete Counter Form (00:02:31)
Adding to a Deck (01:00)
Eating In (00:01:00)
Fire Pit Creates a Destination (00:01:40)
How to Build a Bar Top (00:00:60)
Gardens We Love From Rate My Space 12 Photos
Small-Kitchen Design Tips 14 Photos
How To Throw a Sprinkles Baby Shower 15 Photos
Floor Construction Methods 18 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.