By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
New deck boards and/or railing
TIP: Keep your deck in top shape with simple fixes.
1. Use a screwdriver to check decking and railing for rot and replace damaged wood.
2. Install new boards with grain rings curving upwards; this helps keep them flat.
3. To remove stains caused by algae, mildew, and mold, spray deck with environmentally safe cleaner, which requires no brushing or rinsing; stains will disappear automatically within days.
TIP: Choose day with no rain in forecast for 24 hours.
TIP: Protect nearby landscaping by hosing it down.
TIP: Reapply cleaner every 12 to 18 months to prevent stains from reappearing.
4. To cut down on future maintenance, trim brush and trees to let in more sunlight.
5. Keep sprinklers and gutters from splashing water on deck.
6. Remove leaves and other debris regularly.
10 Best Bathroom Remodeling Trends 10 Photos
Kitchen Island Paradise 12 Photos
Pergola Pictures From Blog Cabin 2014 25 Photos
Backyard Landscaping Ideas 8 Photos
Big Ideas for Small Bathroom Storage 14 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.