By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
New deck boards and/or railing
TIP: Keep your deck in top shape with simple fixes.
1. Use a screwdriver to check decking and railing for rot and replace damaged wood.
2. Install new boards with grain rings curving upwards; this helps keep them flat.
3. To remove stains caused by algae, mildew, and mold, spray deck with environmentally safe cleaner, which requires no brushing or rinsing; stains will disappear automatically within days.
TIP: Choose day with no rain in forecast for 24 hours.
TIP: Protect nearby landscaping by hosing it down.
TIP: Reapply cleaner every 12 to 18 months to prevent stains from reappearing.
4. To cut down on future maintenance, trim brush and trees to let in more sunlight.
5. Keep sprinklers and gutters from splashing water on deck.
6. Remove leaves and other debris regularly.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.