By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
New deck boards and/or railing
TIP: Keep your deck in top shape with simple fixes.
1. Use a screwdriver to check decking and railing for rot and replace damaged wood.
2. Install new boards with grain rings curving upwards; this helps keep them flat.
3. To remove stains caused by algae, mildew, and mold, spray deck with environmentally safe cleaner, which requires no brushing or rinsing; stains will disappear automatically within days.
TIP: Choose day with no rain in forecast for 24 hours.
TIP: Protect nearby landscaping by hosing it down.
TIP: Reapply cleaner every 12 to 18 months to prevent stains from reappearing.
4. To cut down on future maintenance, trim brush and trees to let in more sunlight.
5. Keep sprinklers and gutters from splashing water on deck.
6. Remove leaves and other debris regularly.
Creative Copper Trellis (01:00)
Marking Landscape Designs (02:02)
Fast Toilet Float Fix (02:22)
Deck Water Features (00:52)
Selecting The Proper Paint (02:01)
Budget Basement Project (07:46)
Showcase Fireplace With Mantel (00:01:00)
Gnarly '90s Bathroom Makeover (00:03:56)
Floating Floor Solutions (00:01:00)
Bathroom/Laundry Room Makeover (03:54)
9 Ways to Decorate With Neon Paint 9 Photos
How to Make Two-Sided Fabric Bunting 7 Photos
10 Things You Must Know: Plumbing Leaks 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.