By Emily AndersonMore in Decorating
Pliers with rubber-coated handles
Heavy-weight ceiling junction box
Bedroom furniture & accessories
TIP: Simple contrasts of light and dark can brighten the look of a bedroom.
1. Start by painting one accent wall lighter than other walls.
TIP: For perfect blend of shades, have your paint store lighten existing wall color by ½ or ¾ .
TIP: Woodwork and ceiling should be lighter than accent wall.
1. To brighten windows, opt for simple Venetian blinds.
TIP: For seamless look, match color of blinds to color of woodwork.
TIP: Focus design with large, brightly lit chandelier in center of room.
1. Turn off power at breaker and mark with DO NOT TURN BACK ON sign.
TIP: Use circuit tester to make sure power is off to old fixture.
2. Remove old fixture.
TIP: ID wires with masking tape as you disconnect them.
3. Install new, heavy-duty junction box.
4. Attach new hardware to mounting strap.
5. Screw mounting strap to new junction box.
TIP: Remove chandelier shades and light bulbs during installation.
6. Wire new fixture like old fixture was wired.
TIP: Connect matching wire colors: white to white, black to black.
TIP: Remove ½-inch of insulation from new wires before attaching them.
7. Secure canopy to ceiling.
8. Replace shades and light bulbs.
9. Restore power.
TIP: Use new furniture to further dark-light contrast.
TIP: A dark bed will make light bedding and pillows stand out.
TIP: Place darker dresser or chest of drawers against lighter wall.
TIP: Bring in light tones with accessories such as lamps and area rugs.
TIP: Photos or pictures famed under glass reflect light and brighten interior wall or corner.
1. Finally, hang large mirror on accent wall.