By Emily AndersonMore in Decorating
Pliers with rubber-coated handles
Heavy-weight ceiling junction box
Bedroom furniture & accessories
TIP: Simple contrasts of light and dark can brighten the look of a bedroom.
1. Start by painting one accent wall lighter than other walls.
TIP: For perfect blend of shades, have your paint store lighten existing wall color by ½ or ¾ .
TIP: Woodwork and ceiling should be lighter than accent wall.
1. To brighten windows, opt for simple Venetian blinds.
TIP: For seamless look, match color of blinds to color of woodwork.
TIP: Focus design with large, brightly lit chandelier in center of room.
1. Turn off power at breaker and mark with DO NOT TURN BACK ON sign.
TIP: Use circuit tester to make sure power is off to old fixture.
2. Remove old fixture.
TIP: ID wires with masking tape as you disconnect them.
3. Install new, heavy-duty junction box.
4. Attach new hardware to mounting strap.
5. Screw mounting strap to new junction box.
TIP: Remove chandelier shades and light bulbs during installation.
6. Wire new fixture like old fixture was wired.
TIP: Connect matching wire colors: white to white, black to black.
TIP: Remove ½-inch of insulation from new wires before attaching them.
7. Secure canopy to ceiling.
8. Replace shades and light bulbs.
9. Restore power.
TIP: Use new furniture to further dark-light contrast.
TIP: A dark bed will make light bedding and pillows stand out.
TIP: Place darker dresser or chest of drawers against lighter wall.
TIP: Bring in light tones with accessories such as lamps and area rugs.
TIP: Photos or pictures famed under glass reflect light and brighten interior wall or corner.
1. Finally, hang large mirror on accent wall.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.