By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
Concrete wall blocks
Outdoor cushions and pillows
TIP: Expand your outdoor living space with these hot trends.
1. Retrofit an old wood deck with concrete slabs.
TIP: Plan on 5 square feet per person and at least 6 square feet for a dining table and chairs.
TIP: Deck should slope away from house at least 3/16 inch per running foot.
2. Reinforce structure with shoring posts and beams.
3. Screw in heavy plastic grids.
4. Roll on underlayment.
5. Install concrete slabs.
TIP: Uniform shape and size means slabs can be installed without mortar.
6. Sweep sand into joints.
1. Add outdoor fireplace built with modular insert.
TIP: Face it with concrete pavers the color of stone.
2. Add fire pit made of dry-stacked concrete wall blocks.
1. Build fountain or waterfall using pond pump to circulate water.
TIP: With circulating water, you don’t need plumbing.
1. For plenty of seating, add concrete wall bench.
TIP: Bottom can be dry-stacked wall blocks; top can be smooth concrete slabs; no mortar required.
TIP: Soften with outdoor cushions and pillows.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.