By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
Concrete wall blocks
Outdoor cushions and pillows
TIP: Expand your outdoor living space with these hot trends.
1. Retrofit an old wood deck with concrete slabs.
TIP: Plan on 5 square feet per person and at least 6 square feet for a dining table and chairs.
TIP: Deck should slope away from house at least 3/16 inch per running foot.
2. Reinforce structure with shoring posts and beams.
3. Screw in heavy plastic grids.
4. Roll on underlayment.
5. Install concrete slabs.
TIP: Uniform shape and size means slabs can be installed without mortar.
6. Sweep sand into joints.
1. Add outdoor fireplace built with modular insert.
TIP: Face it with concrete pavers the color of stone.
2. Add fire pit made of dry-stacked concrete wall blocks.
1. Build fountain or waterfall using pond pump to circulate water.
TIP: With circulating water, you don’t need plumbing.
1. For plenty of seating, add concrete wall bench.
TIP: Bottom can be dry-stacked wall blocks; top can be smooth concrete slabs; no mortar required.
TIP: Soften with outdoor cushions and pillows.