Josh Temple, licensed contractor and host of DIY Network's House Crashers and Disaster House, has advice on how to properly prepare for a remodel.
More in Home Improvement
Don't start a home remodeling project without being fully prepared. Expert Josh Temple shares his top 10 dos and don'ts to get you ready for your next big project.
1. Don't remove things from your house you don't recognize -- it may be important.
2. Do allow for waste or error when buying material -- always get an extra 10 percent.
3. Do be prepared for what's behind the drywall or plaster.
4. Don't mess with structural framing without an engineer.
5. Don't believe that hard work will make up for knowing what you're doing.
6. Don't stop a project mid-way.
7. Don't put holes in the roof, plumbing lines, electrical wiring or gas lines.
8. Do know how to properly use the tools needed for the project.
9. Do realize that a home remodeling project always costs more than you think it will.
10. Do, unfortunately, say goodbye to football games, concerts and road trips for at least a month.
Powder Room Conversion (00:03:59)
Wood Floor Installation Tips (00:01:00)
Building a Retaining Wall (03:35)
Updating a Kitchen Layout (00:01:00)
Building a Concrete Countertop (00:10:18)
Storm Panels Protect Windows (00:01:00)
Kitchen Rescue (01:33)
Rusty Porcelain Sink Repair (00:03:15)
Build a Reclaimed Wood Cabinet (00:01:00)
How To Make a Classic Tulle Tutu 15 Photos
How to Choose Paint Color Schemes 17 Photos
How To Throw a Sprinkles Baby Shower 15 Photos
Outdoor Water Features 20 Photos
10 Runway-Ready Carpeted Staircases 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.