Josh Temple, licensed contractor and host of DIY Network's House Crashers and Disaster House, has advice on how to properly prepare for a remodel.
More in Home Improvement
Don't start a home remodeling project without being fully prepared. Expert Josh Temple shares his top 10 dos and don'ts to get you ready for your next big project.
1. Don't remove things from your house you don't recognize -- it may be important.
2. Do allow for waste or error when buying material -- always get an extra 10 percent.
3. Do be prepared for what's behind the drywall or plaster.
4. Don't mess with structural framing without an engineer.
5. Don't believe that hard work will make up for knowing what you're doing.
6. Don't stop a project mid-way.
7. Don't put holes in the roof, plumbing lines, electrical wiring or gas lines.
8. Do know how to properly use the tools needed for the project.
9. Do realize that a home remodeling project always costs more than you think it will.
10. Do, unfortunately, say goodbye to football games, concerts and road trips for at least a month.
Add Shade With a Pergola (00:01:00)
Easily Build a Stone Fire Pit (03:02)
Deck Bench Seat (02:57)
Paint Brightens Old Cabinets (00:01:00)
Hardwood Floor Care (04:54)
Vintage Collage Photo Art (12:40)
Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding (00:01:00)
Laundry Room (20:00)
Window-Box Planter (00:20:00)
Organic Gardening Q and A (03:09)
A Magical Landscape Makeover 7 Photos
10 Amazing Jack O' Lantern Masterpieces 10 Photos
The Best Toys for Playful Cats and Dogs 13 Photos
How to Choose Mulch for Your Landscape 17 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.