Clean vents and registers.
- Clean leaves and debris out of basement window wells.
- Rake debris away from around the foundation of your house and other structures on your property.
- Vacuum your carpet with a powerful upright vacuum cleaner at least once a week.
- Clean faucet aerators and shower heads with vinegar to get rid of mineral deposits.
- Clean the drain pan on your frost-free refrigerator.
- Inspect your dishwasher for leaks.
- Clean your kitchen exhaust fan filter and fan blades.
- During the fall and winter months, check your heating system air filter and replace it if needed.
- Maintain drains by pouring boiling water down them. If a drain becomes clogged, pour a cup of baking soda into the drain – flush with three cups of hot water. If that doesn’t work, use one-half cup of baking soda and then pour one-half cup of plain vinegar down the drain.
- Pour water down any unused drains.
- Vacuum heat registers, vents and refrigerator coils.
- Test ground fault circuit interrupters in your home.