Don't know where to get started on your man cave? Get tips from Jason and the Goose.
More in Home Improvement
1. Take some time to walk through the space and visualize what you want your Man Cave to look like. Be realistic in your assessment of the space and function.
2. Pick an object (pool table, jukebox, picture) that you like and will make part of the room as your inspiration in choosing the overall look and color of your man cave.
3. Measure your space (length, width, height) and transfer these measurements to graph paper using a 1/4" or 1/2" scale. Use it to plan your man cave in detail. The more details you work out on paper, the easier the task of building will be.
4. Make a list of all the materials you will need to accomplish the build. If you’re working with a budget, make sure to leave yourself a 10-15% allowance for miscellaneous or unforeseen costs. There will be some!
5. Make a list of all the tools you will need. Whatever you don’t have you can either borrow from friends and family or rent from your local home improvement store.
6. If your build requires plumbing, electrical or HVAC work, contact licensed professionals for their input or services. Don’t tackle something you’re not comfortable with. If you hire a contractor, get a signed quote from that contractor for the work to be done.
7. Before you start your build, make a step-by step list of what needs to be done in order. Schedule these plans with your contractor.
8. Ask friends and family to help with the build. Try to get people with some building skills so that they might help you direct your plan of attack.
9. Set goals for yourself and your team to accomplish each step of the build in a given time frame.
10. If you hit a wall (figuratively speaking) and have a question about any aspect of your build, I suggest you do two things? go to DIYnetwork.com and watch Man Caves for answers.
Peel-and-Stick Tile Backsplash (00:02:06)
Great Ribbon Ideas (04:32)
Contemporary Master Bedroom (00:03:19)
Leaky Faucet (01:00)
Custom Details on a Budget (00:01:00)
Garage Tune-Up (20:00)
Shoebox Kitchen Expansion (00:03:53)
Installing Carpet (01:00)
Photo Ornament (04:27)
Cool Tools: Holiday Special (00:40:00)
Blog Cabin 2011: Outdoor Shower Pictures 10 Photos
Herbs and Sprouting Seeds 18 Photos
Steampunk Christmas Decorating Ideas 15 Photos
Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Design 14 Photos
10 Wedding Shower Games and Activities 10 Photos
15 Easy-to-Make DIY Headboard Projects 15 Photos
34 Halloween Pumpkin Carving Templates 34 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.