Learn how interesting fibers can become necklaces: simply twist them until they ply together, tie them off and adorn them with tassels, beads and charms.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
various yarns (we used Amerah #275 [Oh Girl], Melody #516 [Vixen], Shimmer #405 [Copper], Phoenix 100% Soy Silk #506 [I-Candy] and Fur Real [Circus Pony], all from South West Trading Company)
glass bead with large hole
small crochet hook that fits through the bead hole
variety of beads, bells, shells, charms, etc. (for embellishments)
1. Cut 8 pieces of yarn into 4-yard lengths.
2. Lay all the yarns together, matching equal lengths.
3. Find the center point and fold the yarns in half, holding the center folded point.
4. Twist the cords together. Insert a pencil into the loop of the folded end and secure the other end.
5. Twist the pencil between your fingers clockwise, until the strands are twisted very tightly.
6. Grab the center of the cord and allow both ends to twist around each other, making a cord that's twice as thick. Remove pencil.
7. Divide the loose end in half, slip those ends through the looped end and tie the 2 halves together tightly. The necklace base is finished.
8. To add the focal bead and make the tasseled end, first slide the crochet hook through the hole in the bead and pull all the loose ends through.
9. Cut 20 or more 10" pieces of various fibers to hang from the bottom.
10. To create the tasseled end, make a pile of strands and fold in the center. Take 2 of the loose yarns from the original bunch and tie them around the center of the bunch tightly several times. Repeat with 2 other yarns, coming through the bead.
11. Select a middle strand in the fringe tassel as the area to place a focal-point adornment. Continue to string other choice beads, charms, shells and adornments onto various points the fringe and tie knots underneath to secure.
Wood Install 101 (04:06)
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
Go Creative With Bath Flooring (00:01:00)
Mudroom- Part 1 (06:29)
Convert Wood Fireplace to Gas (00:01:00)
Whimsical Fence and Arbor (08:37)
Tiki Hut Bar (01:50)
DIY Portable Kitchen Cart (00:01:00)
How to Use a Gas Compactor (02:05)
Fish Net Craft Ideas (03:08)
Fantastic Bathroom Makeovers 20 Photos
How To Replace a Bathroom Light Fixture 11 Photos
The Most Commonly Used Landscaping Tools 12 Photos
Rock Landscaping Ideas 8 Photos
Nature's Garden Helpers 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.