Learn how interesting fibers can become necklaces: simply twist them until they ply together, tie them off and adorn them with tassels, beads and charms.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
various yarns (we used Amerah #275 [Oh Girl], Melody #516 [Vixen], Shimmer #405 [Copper], Phoenix 100% Soy Silk #506 [I-Candy] and Fur Real [Circus Pony], all from South West Trading Company)
glass bead with large hole
small crochet hook that fits through the bead hole
variety of beads, bells, shells, charms, etc. (for embellishments)
1. Cut 8 pieces of yarn into 4-yard lengths.
2. Lay all the yarns together, matching equal lengths.
3. Find the center point and fold the yarns in half, holding the center folded point.
4. Twist the cords together. Insert a pencil into the loop of the folded end and secure the other end.
5. Twist the pencil between your fingers clockwise, until the strands are twisted very tightly.
6. Grab the center of the cord and allow both ends to twist around each other, making a cord that's twice as thick. Remove pencil.
7. Divide the loose end in half, slip those ends through the looped end and tie the 2 halves together tightly. The necklace base is finished.
8. To add the focal bead and make the tasseled end, first slide the crochet hook through the hole in the bead and pull all the loose ends through.
9. Cut 20 or more 10" pieces of various fibers to hang from the bottom.
10. To create the tasseled end, make a pile of strands and fold in the center. Take 2 of the loose yarns from the original bunch and tie them around the center of the bunch tightly several times. Repeat with 2 other yarns, coming through the bead.
11. Select a middle strand in the fringe tassel as the area to place a focal-point adornment. Continue to string other choice beads, charms, shells and adornments onto various points the fringe and tie knots underneath to secure.
Create a Custom Kitchen Island (00:01:00)
Installing Carpet on Stairs (05:24)
How to Build Floating Shelves (00:60)
Big Boy Budget Bedroom (03:58)
Latex Paint over Semigloss (01:26)
Handmade Jewelry (04:32)
Installing Pebble Flooring (00:01:00)
Windows- Part 1 (07:03)
Aspect Peel-and-Stick Tiles (00:01:39)
LED Glass Countertops (01:21)
Jimmie Johnson's Man Cave Gift 9 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.