Crafty DIYers can make funky jewelry out of ordinary metal washers.
More in Decorating
Washers are available in so many sizes and they cost just a few cents. You can create large and chunky necklaces with jumbo washers or dainty and delicate necklaces with small washers. Charm bracelets can be made by using lots of small washers, and dougnut-shaped earrings are perfect for summer fun.
You can use so many types of paper for this project. Origami papers create intricate and beautiful patterns. Scrapbook papers can be mixed and matched to create stunning looks. Wrapping paper bits and greeting cards can be used. Even clippings from magazines and newspapers are fun choices.
And this project is so easy on the budget, you can make a piece of jewelry for each outfit. One thing to note is that you will need to color copy the paper of choice for the best results.
Materials and Tools:
origami or other decorative paper
diamond glaze from Judikins
1 yd. leather cording
large wood bead
1. Make a laser-printer copy of the origami or decorative paper. (Only a laser-printed image will work with this project because only a laser image will prevent the colors from bleeding when the diamond glaze is applied.)
2. Place the washer onto the laser-printed paper and position over the desired design area. Trace around the washer. Use a craft knife to cut out the center circle, and then use scissors to cut around the outside edge of the circle.
3. Place the washer smooth side down, and glue the paper to the rough side using a glue stick.
4. Do not shake the diamond glaze (this will create air bubbles). Apply diamond glaze to the top of the washer. Then use a wooden skewer to spread the glaze, being careful to cover the entire surface of the washer. Let dry for 24 hours.
5. Create the necklace: Cut lacing to desired length, (fit around your neck and add 2 inches). Fold in half and feed the folded end through the center of the washer and loop loose ends through the folded end.
6. Feed both ends of the cording through a bead and slide bead down to the washer.
7. Trim ends of the lacing to fit your neck, and then attach a leather jewelry clasp to the ends using flat-nosed pliers.
You can create earrings, bracelets and more necklaces just by using various sizes of washers and jewelry findings.
Get creative and have fun!