Create a chain or knotted necklace from rope, then color and stiffen it to make a fun piece of jewelry. Use the same techniques to make matching bracelets and other pieces for a growing wardrobe of necklaces and bangles.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
light-duty cotton rope
decorative wire, beads, other embellishments
1. Cut several 6" pieces of rope.
2. Thread about 1’ of wire through the tapestry needle and double it over. Carefully run the needle longwise through the center of one of the rope pieces. Be sure the needle is sharp.
3. Pull the wire through the rope, leaving about 1" of excess on each end. Bend the rope to create a link and twist the wire ends together securely. Trim any excess and tuck all wire ends back into the rope.
4. Create more links, connecting each to the necklace. Add links until the necklace is large enough to slip over your head.
5. To stiffen the necklace, mix white glue with a little water to thin it slightly. Mix in a small amount of acrylic art paint, if desired, to add color to the piece.
6. Dip the necklace in the glue, covering all surfaces.
7. Lay the necklace on a piece of granite or waxed paper. Shape the necklace as desired and wipe away excess glue.
8. Let the necklace dry completely. When the necklace is mostly dry, move it to a clean piece of granite or waxed paper so that glue drips don’t stick to the piece.
9. To make a knot necklace, choose a cotton rope with a larger diameter than for the rope chain necklace.
10. Tie a knot about 4" from one end, then tie another knot every couple of inches, spacing them evenly.
11. When the necklace is at the desired length, connect the ends with a square knot and trim the excess. Leave it flexible or stiffen it with a glue mixture as above.
12. Add decorative wire, beads or other items to these necklaces if desired. Try using these techniques to make fun rope bracelets to match your new necklaces.
Create a Custom Kitchen Island (00:01:00)
Glazing Your Kitchen Cabinets (03:18)
Subway-Tile Backsplash (00:02:51)
Josh Temple's Baseboard Tips (00:01:00)
Palatial Multi-Kitchen Home (00:01:28)
The Basics of Insulation (01:00)
Plaster Wall Repairs (01:38)
Retaining Wall Materials (00:39)
Clever Cabinet Storage (00:01:00)
Wine Rack (01:36)
12 Creative Headboards 12 Photos
Ways to Declutter and Stay Organized 11 Photos
Design Tips for Beautiful Pergolas 16 Photos
BATHtastic! Bathrooms from Matt Muenster 25 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.