Personalize a garden or walk with a simple, affordable way to set memories in stone.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools
10" garden drip tray
Quikrete sand mix
1 small piece of screening, slightly smaller than the drip tray
wooden craft stick
work gloves (optional)
embellishments: marbles, pebbles/stones, shells, beads, flat marbles/gems, small mosaic tiles, beach glass, stained glass, special mementos/souvenirs
1. Work in an area with a protected work surface where the steppingstone can stay undisturbed for 3 days.
2. Rub a generous amount of petroleum jelly on the sides and bottom of the drip pan before placing the pan on the work surface.
3. Combine 5 parts concrete with 1 part water; mix to the consistency of cookie dough. Add more water and/or Quikrete, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency.
4. Fill the mold half full of the mixture and smooth the surface. Lay the screening in the mold and finish filling the mold. Gently tap around the outside of the mold to remove any air bubbles and even out the surface of the mixture. If you’re planning to write in the concrete or make a handprint or footprint, let the concrete set up from 30 minutes to 2 hours to ensure a clean impression; set-up time will depend on the moistness of the mix.
5. Decorative embellishments can be added up to 2 hours after filling the tray. If you make a mistake, remove the items, flatten out the top with the side of a craft stick or spoon, tap the sides to smooth and start over again!
6. The steppingstone must sit for 2-3 days without being disturbed. Once the stone is dry, gently pop it out of the mold.
Add Shade With a Pergola (00:01:00)
Easily Build a Stone Fire Pit (03:02)
Deck Bench Seat (02:57)
Paint Brightens Old Cabinets (00:01:00)
Hardwood Floor Care (04:54)
Vintage Collage Photo Art (12:40)
Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding (00:01:00)
Laundry Room (20:00)
Window-Box Planter (00:20:00)
Organic Gardening Q and A (03:09)
A Magical Landscape Makeover 7 Photos
10 Amazing Jack O' Lantern Masterpieces 10 Photos
The Best Toys for Playful Cats and Dogs 13 Photos
How to Choose Mulch for Your Landscape 17 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.