Materials and Tools:
3/4 yard of 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon (for center)
1-1/4 yard of 1" to 2" (for petals)
Thread to match ribbon
Heavy-gauge wire stem cut in 12" to 18" lengths
Silk or velvet leaves
- To create center of flower, cut 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon into 6 pieces that measure 4" to 4-1/2".
- Make a knot halfway between the ends. Fold the pieces of ribbon so that the knot is on top.
- Stitch all the pieces together 1/2" from the end. The longer pieces (if there are any) should be used in the center, with shorter pieces sewn around it.
- For petals, cut the petal ribbon in 6 pieces 7" long. Fold each 7" piece in half and sew a running stitch 1/2" from both ends, sewing them together. Pull the running stitch tight, knot it and cut the thread.
- Place three petals around the center and stitch to center 1/2" from ends.
- To attach the flower to stem, apply glue to one end of wire and stick into center of the sewn end of flower. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly.
- Stretch the floral tape slightly and wrap around 1/2" of the petals sewn around the bottom of flower. Continue wrapping floral tape in a diagonal spiral down the stem, adding leaves (by their stems) as desired. After reaching bottom of wire, simply cut or tear tape.