Crunch up some peppermint candy to create a sweet treat reminiscent of holidays past.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
12 oz. quality white chocolate, finely chopped
30 red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed (about 6 ounces)
12 oz. bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 Teaspoon peppermint extract
Packaging: glass jar, ribbon, tag, ornament, etc.
Note: This recipe makes around 1-1/2 pounds.
1. Line the cookie sheet with a 12" length of foil.
2. Combine bittersweet/semisweet chocolate, whipping cream and peppermint extract in a bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water) until chocolate is melted and smooth. The chocolate will feel warm to touch. Remove from over water. Pour the chocolate onto the foil. Using the rubber spatula spread an even layer of chocolate over the foil.
3. Sprinkle half of the crushed peppermints over the chocolate. Chill in the refrigerator until set, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the chocolate and peppermint from the refrigerator. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water) until chocolate is melted and smooth. (The chocolate will feel warm to touch.) Remove from over water. Pour all of the white chocolate over the chilled chocolate and peppermints. Using the rubber spatula spread the white chocolate in even layer. Top with the remaining crushed peppermints. Refrigerate until very cold and firm, about 25 minutes.
5. Once the bark is hardened, use your hands to break it into chunks. Allow bark to stand 15 minutes at room temperature before serving. (Note: This recipe can be made 2 weeks ahead and chilled in an airtight container.)
For gift giving, package the peppermint bark in clean glass jars. Glue stick wrapping paper scraps to the metal lid. Attach a bow, ornament and a tag.
Man Caves: Top 10 10 Photos
How to Choose Mulch for Your Landscape 17 Photos
Extraordinary Garage Makeovers 9 Photos
8 Dreamy High-End Home Theaters 8 Photos
Places to Play 14 Photos
Top 10 DIY Dining Room Projects 10 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.