Jewelry can be made from just about anything, including plain old paper. With an inexpensive kit and a little imagination, these butterfly necklaces will really take flight.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
Plaid Paper Couture butterfly kit
1. Cut out three butterflies.
2. Using brush and paper glue, glue two butterflies together.
3. Cut 3 eye pins to 1" length. Use paper glue to attach one pin to each wing of a butterfly. The third pin is attached to the body, facing down. Let dry for several minutes.
4. Apply glue again, as in step 2, and stick the butterflies from step 2 to the butterfly from step 3. Let dry for 10 minutes. Rinse brush clean of glue.
5. Apply one large jewel just below the head using jewel glue. Use fingers to shape and curve butterfly wings. Shape and curve antenna and glue to each wing using paper glue. Let dry for several minutes.
6. Using a brush, apply 3 coats of paper hardener to both the front and back of the butterfly. Set on waxed paper for 15 minutes to dry between each coat. Toothpicks are handy for cleaning excess hardener from butterflies’ wing cutouts.
7. Cut eye pins to 1" and 1-1/2" lengths. Thread 1 gold bead, 1 faceted bead and a second gold bead onto each pin. Attach pins to bottom eye loop on butterfly; use pliers to open and close loop.
8. Measure and cut two 12" lengths of wire. Thread each through one butterfly wing eye pin, one wing at a time. Even out the wire, thread gold crimp bead to both ends and crimp closed with pliers.
9. Apply jewel glue to wire ends and insert into tube clasps. Repeat on other side.
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
LED Glass Countertops (01:21)
Bath Floors (04:01)
Adirondack Chair (00:20:01)
Creative Bathroom Storage Tips (00:01:00)
Modern Wall Sconce (02:21)
Install Hardwood Floor (04:25)
Seashell Wind Chimes (00:03:18)
Two-Tone Harmony (03:35)
Low-Level Deck Footings (00:53)
10 Best Bathroom Remodeling Trends 10 Photos
Insulation and Soundproofing Materials 14 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.