Learn how to transform an old stereo into a dresser storage unit.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
1. Strip out the record player, tuner and speaker parts from the cabinet.
2. Apply wood fill to fill in any imperfections in the cabinet left by the stripping process.
3. Sand all of the filled areas flush with the other surfaces.
4. Cut and fit the shelves and back cover sections using 3/4 inch MDF. Add any brackets needed for the shelf installation.
5. Prime and paint the inside of the cabinet.
6. Prime and paint all of the shelf sections before affixing to the inside of the cabinet.
7. Lightly sand all of the outside surfaces of the cabinet.
8. Stain and polyurethane the outside of the cabinet.
9. Once the paint is dry, you can screw the shelves into place.
10. Use caulk to fill any gaps in the seams between the shelves and the cabinet.
11. Add an oak frame to the speaker faces made out of one inch trim. The speaker faces will become the doors for the side sections of the dresser.
12. Stain the new frames on the doors.
13. Hang the doors on the cabinet with appropriate hinges and latching hardware.
14. Add handles to the doors.
Stereo Cabinet: Free
How to Build a Retaining Wall (05:56)
A Sharp Edge (02:31)
Installing Hardwood Flooring (01:29)
Work and Play in Divided Space (00:03:46)
Step 3: Prep the Materials (02:16)
Tips for Preventing Mold (01:59)
Safety Speed Cut Panel Pro Saw (01:40)
Home Theater Hub (20:01)
Deck Water Features (00:52)
Cozy, Stylish Midcentury Bath (00:03:18)
Herbs and Sprouting Seeds 18 Photos
Stylish and Unique Headboard Ideas 9 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.