Yield: 16 servings
For the strawberries:
8 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
For the biscuits:
1 cup sugar
6 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 sticks (24 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 large eggs
For the whipped cream:
1 pint heavy whipping cream, very cold
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Strawberries: Combine the strawberries and the sugar. Line a basket with a cloth napkin and a sheet of parchment paper, and transfer the strawberries to the basket.
2. Biscuits: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, 12 times. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream with eggs. Pour over flour mixture and pulse until large clumps begin to form, about 25 times.
3. Using a half-cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop, gently pack dough, invert and tap onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat to form 16 biscuits. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then transfer to a basket lined with a cloth napkin.
4. Whipped cream: Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Transfer to a bowl or compote dish.
5. To serve: Place baskets of strawberries and biscuits, and compote of whipped cream, in the middle of the table or on the buffet, and let guests enjoy building their own strawberry shortcakes!