A tree branch and an old lamp are attached together to add unique lighting to the bedroom.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
1. Begin by power sanding the bark off of an eight inch tree branch, leaving some on the bark for visual interest.
Tip: Use coarse, medium and fine grit sandpaper for best results.
2. Using a table as a guide, cut out the parts on the tree to cut flat using a saw and chainsaw. Power sand the rough edges.
3. By using shims and clamping the branch to a table, cut a channel down the backside of the branch with a rotating cutting tool to create room for the wiring. Sand the rough edges.
4. Pick three points that the flowers will "bloom" from, and then drill a hole at a steep angle for the flower stems to drop into. Make sure the holes line up with the wiring channel in the back.
5. Stain the entire branch with a green stain.
6. Apply Tung oil stain, and then buff and allow to dry overnight.
7. Apply polyurethane to seal.
8. Remove the glass petals from their metal frames by bending back the tabs.
9. Wash the glass.
10. Grind off the flower structures, leaving about six inches of stem from the old floor lamp fixture.
11. Burn off the brass finish from the metal frames with a blow torch.
12. Replace the glass petals.
13. Drop in six flower stems so that they may swivel for optimal variety.
14. Rewire the flower lamp.
15. Once the focus placement has been found for the light fixture, use small nails to act as shims to keep them from swiveling further.
16. Mount to the wall by countersinking holes and screwing into a stud or by using anchors.
Tree Branch: Free
Flower lamp: $20
Top 10 Water Features (20:01)
Create a Faux Tile Backsplash (01:02)
Cleaning Window Treatments (05:11)
Building a Kitchen Bar Cart (01:02)
A Porch to Chill On Part 1 (06:01)
Decorative Cabinet Panels (03:16)
Installing Laminate Floors (01:00)
Relaxing Yard for Entertaining (00:03:14)
Faucet Tips (01:50)
Garden Water Features 12 Photos
DIY Weddings: Table Setting Ideas 8 Photos
Pictures of Formal English Gardens 17 Photos
10 Ways to Upgrade Your Outdoor Spaces 10 Photos
Chalkboard Paint Ideas for the Kitchen 11 Photos
12 Ways to Upcycle Old Neckties 12 Photos
Blog Cabin 2012: Artistic Vision 100 Photos
Stylish and Unique Headboard Ideas 9 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.