5. We used one long board across the top, two vertical pieces for the side of the artwork, and two smaller horizontal pieces – one for the bottom of the frame and one to serve as support on the bottom of the headboard.
Lay the horizontal top, middle and bottom frame on the ground facedown. Add the two vertical pieces that will surround the artwork. If needed, tape the pieces together so they stay in place.
6. Line the headboard pieces in order face down on top of the frame pieces. Screw the headboard pieces onto the horizontal frame pieces. Be sure to use screws that will not come through the front of the frame pieces. Double check that the headboard pieces are straight and level before fastening them down.
7. Flip the pieces over so the headboard is face up. Double check the measurements for your artwork then flip the headboard back over and fasten the two vertical side piece. Make sure to have a tight fit for the artwork -- but not too tight that it won't slide underneath the two pieces (image below).
8. Varnish the whole piece. Let dry then repeat. Then let dry for a few days.
9. Use stud finder to screw headboard into the wall (or place on legs). You can screw it inside the artwork frame and then place the picture over it so you don't see the screws.
Joanne Palmisano is the author of Salvage Secrets (W.W. Norton, September 2011). Visit her blog, also called Salvage Secrets.
2- Kerf Cuts (05:43)
Installing Laminate Flooring (07:28)
Remove Wallpaper Full Project (08:59)
Easy Glass Etching (04:15)
Log Cabin Kitchens (02:26)
Stress Cracks in Drywall (03:09)
Selecting the Right Tile Size (01:28)
Replacing a Wood Floor (01:08)
Build a Rustic Barn Door (00:01:00)
Step 3: Install the Top Rail (01:10)
Ways to Declutter and Stay Organized 11 Photos
11 Ways to Upcycle Old Sweaters 11 Photos
The Latest in Wall Covering Trends 8 Photos
How to Sew a Fleece Christmas Stocking 12 Photos
Kitchen Design: 11 Great Floor Plans 11 Photos
How to Wrap a Gift in Floral Garland 5 Photos
Small-Kitchen Design Tips 14 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.