5. We used one long board across the top, two vertical pieces for the side of the artwork, and two smaller horizontal pieces – one for the bottom of the frame and one to serve as support on the bottom of the headboard.
Lay the horizontal top, middle and bottom frame on the ground facedown. Add the two vertical pieces that will surround the artwork. If needed, tape the pieces together so they stay in place.
6. Line the headboard pieces in order face down on top of the frame pieces. Screw the headboard pieces onto the horizontal frame pieces. Be sure to use screws that will not come through the front of the frame pieces. Double check that the headboard pieces are straight and level before fastening them down.
7. Flip the pieces over so the headboard is face up. Double check the measurements for your artwork then flip the headboard back over and fasten the two vertical side piece. Make sure to have a tight fit for the artwork -- but not too tight that it won't slide underneath the two pieces (image below).
8. Varnish the whole piece. Let dry then repeat. Then let dry for a few days.
9. Use stud finder to screw headboard into the wall (or place on legs). You can screw it inside the artwork frame and then place the picture over it so you don't see the screws.
Joanne Palmisano is the author of Salvage Secrets (W.W. Norton, September 2011). Visit her blog, also called Salvage Secrets.
A Sharp Edge (02:31)
How to Install a Paver Patio (04:54)
Eight-Level Backyard Deck (00:02:13)
Pergola Installed From Kit (00:02:10)
Martini Bar Basement (20:01)
Gabion Garden Entertainment (20:00)
Build an Outdoor Fireplace (02:48)
Fireplace Upgrade (02:16)
Enhance Your Walkway (00:01:04)
Range Hood Installation (02:51)
Nature's Garden Helpers 10 Photos
Plants That Bloom in Summer 35 Photos
Homemade Pet Treats and Recipes 5 Photos
13 Mowing Tips for a Healthy Lawn 13 Photos
How to Install Doorway Molding 8 Photos
Under-Cabinet Lighting Choices 4 Photos
7 Budget Backsplash Projects 7 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.