Courtesy of Susan Teare and Lindsay Raymondjack
We left the tins as-is, but you can easily paint them, cover them in burlap or even bedazzle them. The stacked tins can also be made into a table lamp. You can also try this with books or other household objects.
- 1/2" drill and 3/8" drill bit
- wire stripper
- tubing cutter
- lamp kit (should include 12 feet of electrical wire, socket, harp, lampshade attachment and connector)
- 2 threaded lamp pipes (or one that is the length you want the lamp to be)
- threaded pipe connector (if you have to, use two)
- piece of copper pipe or another type of sleeve to cover the threaded rod
- 20 washers (depends on the tin) for the bottom of the base, to lift it off the floor and have power wire run underneath
- 3 screws (#10 by one inch)
- a piece of 5/4-inch-thick pine board
- 1 nut
Lay the bottom tin upside down on the piece of pine wood. With a pencil, trace around the tin. Use a jigsaw to cut out the shape (Image 1). Cut slightly inside the traced line, so the piece of wood will fit inside the tin.
Drill three holes through the wood and the tin. This will hold the wood in place and create feet under the bottom of the tin. Stack several washers onto each of the three screws, then insert the screw into each hole (Image 2). You may want to put a felt tab over the screw so it won't scratch your floor. The stack of washers will hold the lamp up off the floor so the wire can come underneath.
Drill a hole through the center of the tin and the wood — this is for the threaded pipe and wire. Make sure to keep hole vertical.
Morning Off Refuels Ice (00:02:08)
Build a Nativity Yard Display (02:27)
Stained Concrete (01:00)
Designing a Kitchen Island (01:11)
Blog Cabin 2015: Chris's Take (00:01:53)
Atom Smoke Alarm: Macro Design (00:01:04)
Two-Tone Harmony (03:35)
Secret Door (03:18)
Easily Build a Stone Fire Pit (03:02)
Cabinet Jack and Claw (01:15)
12 Cozy Guest Bedroom Retreats 12 Photos
Pergola Pictures From Blog Cabin 2014 25 Photos
Pergola and Gazebo Design Trends 10 Photos
Indoors Out Patio Showcase 27 Photos
Seven Crashed Baths You Can't Miss 41 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.