Give a boring dresser a fresh look by decoupaging your favorite vintage poster right on the front.
More in Decorating
Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza have some easy ideas for dressing up old furniture. They use French poster art to add serious style to a boring dresser, give a plain table a stunning mod design and chill out with a distinctive fridge that will look cool in any dorm room.
Give a boring dresser a quick new look by sticking your favorite vintage poster right on the front.
Poster Art Dresser
Materials and Tools:
chest of drawers with flat-faced drawer fronts
one French advertisement or film poster
sewing or paper weights
découpage medium or clear spray sealer
1. Remove drawer pulls.
2. Hold the poster up to the chest of drawers; determine and measure where the top of the poster will fall on the top drawer. Measure the height of each drawer and the distance between each.
3. Measure and draw lines to divide the poster into sections corresponding to each drawer and each dividing space between each.
4. Place the poster on the self-healing mat. Align the yardstick on each cutting line and weigh the yardstick and poster down with sewing weights. Use the yardstick as a guide to cut each line with the rotary cutter.
5. Keeping the poster strips in the proper order, apply each piece to the corresponding drawer or spacer piece by spraying each strip with adhesive and positioning it in the center of the dresser section.
6. Use the brayer to flatten the poster and ensure it adheres well. Allow the adhered strips to dry.
7. Use a sanding sponge to lightly sand the edges of the dresser sections for an aged effect.
8. Apply découpage medium or clear spray sealer to each dresser section to protect it.
Prepping a Paver Patio Base (00:01:00)
How to Cut Pergola Rafters (00:46)
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
That '70s Kitchen (03:14)
Installing Siding (00:60)
Hardwood Floor Installation (00:04:10)
Hard-Partying Backyard (00:03:46)
Spa-Like Bathroom Renovation (03:22)
New Bathroom Sink Designs (01:56)
Recycling in the Garden (20:01)
Beautiful Bathroom Redos on a Budget 10 Photos
Top 10 DIY Dining Room Projects 10 Photos
10 Outdoor Rooms on a Budget 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.