Inspired by a gemstone necklace, this piece features decorative picots, eyelash yarn and a stunning metal filigree flower detail.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
20 cut pieces of eyelash yarn (we used a 7-yd. and a 4-yd. strand of Seville #1 by Katia and 8-yd. lengths of Slinky #2 by Silk City)
#5 crochet hook
2" metal filigree brooch
tiny flat crystal beads (to glue onto brooch)
1. Fold the 7-yard strand in half. Make a slipknot and crochet the folded-over strands together into a 24" chain.
2. Fold the length of Slinky yarn in half and, starting 8" from the end, work 6 single crochet into the chain.
Tip: To make picots, first make a chain. Skip 3 chains and work a single crochet. Chain 4, catch back into first chain. Wind the thread once around the needle and pull it through both loops.
3. Now add 3 picots into the 6th single crochet.
Note: "Picot" is an edging made of small loops, which adds a decorative look to an item.
4. Do 6 single crochet, then make another 3 picots.
5. Repeat the pattern until 10 picot stitches have been made. Stop picot stitches 8" from the other end of the chain.
Tip: Make sure that you have an even number of picots total. If the rest of the chain does not match, it's easy to undo some of it.
6. To make the base for the flower, fold the 4-yard length of ribbon in half. Between the 2 center picots, crochet 6 rows of single crochet on 6 chains, building up with an extra chain at the end of each row to make a small rectangle.
7. Glue beads to the brooch with fabric glue.
8. Use fabric glue to glue the eyelash yarn to the ribbon rectangle; then add the filigree to the top of the eyelash yarn with glue.
9. Let dry overnight.
Tip: Press the finished necklace with steam to make it lie flat.
Building a Deck Bench (01:02)
Link Deck Tile System (00:01:46)
How to Build a Retaining Wall (05:56)
Add Shade With a Pergola (00:01:00)
Mediterranean Patio (20:01)
Kreg Jig K3 Master System (01:48)
Hardwood Moisture Damage (00:50)
Sitting Lodge (00:01:16)
Canal Brick Courtyard (20:00)
DIY Tire Swings (03:23)
Garden Water Features 12 Photos
Front Porch Ideas from Rate My Space 7 Photos
10 Wedding Shower Games and Activities 10 Photos
The Best Outdoor Rooms from Indoors Out 16 Photos
Garages Beyond the Ordinary 9 Photos
10 Things You Must Know About Ponds 10 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.