Inspired by a gemstone necklace, this piece features decorative picots, eyelash yarn and a stunning metal filigree flower detail.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
20 cut pieces of eyelash yarn (we used a 7-yd. and a 4-yd. strand of Seville #1 by Katia and 8-yd. lengths of Slinky #2 by Silk City)
#5 crochet hook
2" metal filigree brooch
tiny flat crystal beads (to glue onto brooch)
1. Fold the 7-yard strand in half. Make a slipknot and crochet the folded-over strands together into a 24" chain.
2. Fold the length of Slinky yarn in half and, starting 8" from the end, work 6 single crochet into the chain.
Tip: To make picots, first make a chain. Skip 3 chains and work a single crochet. Chain 4, catch back into first chain. Wind the thread once around the needle and pull it through both loops.
3. Now add 3 picots into the 6th single crochet.
Note: "Picot" is an edging made of small loops, which adds a decorative look to an item.
4. Do 6 single crochet, then make another 3 picots.
5. Repeat the pattern until 10 picot stitches have been made. Stop picot stitches 8" from the other end of the chain.
Tip: Make sure that you have an even number of picots total. If the rest of the chain does not match, it's easy to undo some of it.
6. To make the base for the flower, fold the 4-yard length of ribbon in half. Between the 2 center picots, crochet 6 rows of single crochet on 6 chains, building up with an extra chain at the end of each row to make a small rectangle.
7. Glue beads to the brooch with fabric glue.
8. Use fabric glue to glue the eyelash yarn to the ribbon rectangle; then add the filigree to the top of the eyelash yarn with glue.
9. Let dry overnight.
Tip: Press the finished necklace with steam to make it lie flat.
Ingenious Yard Nutcracker (04:53)
Step 3: Install the Top Rail (01:10)
Building a Deck With Curves (03:45)
Beadboard Alternative (01:00)
Home Theater Hub (20:01)
Flooring Overview (02:37)
Big Boy Budget Bedroom (03:58)
Updating a Fireplace (01:00)
Cool Floating Kitchen Shelves (04:55)
Build a Marble-Top Table (00:01:00)
How to Sew a Fleece Christmas Stocking 12 Photos
Our Favorite Bedrooms From Rate My Space 10 Photos
Blog Cabin 2013: Final Stages of Framing 18 Photos
12 Creative Craft Room Storage Ideas 12 Photos
10 Ways to Upgrade Your Outdoor Spaces 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.