How to achieve a crackle finish by applying a base coat and glue, then finishing with another color on top.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
foam board for practice
gold spray paint
Hyde glue (a resolvent glue)
spray varnish (sealer)
very fine sandpaper (400-grit)
1. Spray-paint the foam board with gold paint. When dry, spray it with a coat of spray varnish to seal the paint.
2. Lightly sand the sealed paint surface with very fine sandpaper. This will make the surface a little rougher and allow the glue to stick to it more easily.
3. Brush resolvent glue onto the surface with a paintbrush. Try to spread an even coat of glue. To get a random crackle, it's better to brush in multiple directions.
4. Let the glue dry completely, overnight.
5. You must use water-based paint over the glue. Latex paint doesn't work because it stretches and doesn't crack. Milk paint is the best because it dries brittle and cracks well; acrylic paint also works. Apply the paint with a brush, and be careful not to go back over an area once you've applied the paint. Make sure you have enough paint loaded on the brush before making the strokes.
6. In a short time you'll begin to see the paint crack. Let dry thoroughly.
6. A crackle finish is very susceptible to moisture from weather and will peel away if brushed up against. Protect the surface with an oil-based sealer. A matte or eggshell finish looks better on crackle than a high-gloss finish.
Magnificent Interlocking Wall (04:30)
Top 10 Water Features (20:01)
Step 6: Install Flooring (04:13)
Something Old, Something New (00:20:01)
Exterior Deck Tile System (01:11)
Making a Travertine Backsplash (02:37)
Tuscan Kitchen (04:21)
Building a Deck Bench (01:02)
Attic Bonus Room (20:00)
Mediterranean Waterfall (01:28)
Floral Alternatives For Your Wedding 23 Photos
Garden Water Features 12 Photos
Setting up a Basic DIY Toolkit 26 Photos
DIY Weddings: Table Setting Ideas 8 Photos
Stunning Front-Yard Makeovers 6 Photos
Back Patio Pictures From Blog Cabin 2014 32 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.