How to achieve a crackle finish by applying a base coat and glue, then finishing with another color on top.
More in Decorating
Materials and Tools:
foam board for practice
gold spray paint
Hyde glue (a resolvent glue)
spray varnish (sealer)
very fine sandpaper (400-grit)
1. Spray-paint the foam board with gold paint. When dry, spray it with a coat of spray varnish to seal the paint.
2. Lightly sand the sealed paint surface with very fine sandpaper. This will make the surface a little rougher and allow the glue to stick to it more easily.
3. Brush resolvent glue onto the surface with a paintbrush. Try to spread an even coat of glue. To get a random crackle, it's better to brush in multiple directions.
4. Let the glue dry completely, overnight.
5. You must use water-based paint over the glue. Latex paint doesn't work because it stretches and doesn't crack. Milk paint is the best because it dries brittle and cracks well; acrylic paint also works. Apply the paint with a brush, and be careful not to go back over an area once you've applied the paint. Make sure you have enough paint loaded on the brush before making the strokes.
6. In a short time you'll begin to see the paint crack. Let dry thoroughly.
6. A crackle finish is very susceptible to moisture from weather and will peel away if brushed up against. Protect the surface with an oil-based sealer. A matte or eggshell finish looks better on crackle than a high-gloss finish.
A Sharp Edge (02:31)
How to Install a Paver Patio (04:54)
Eight-Level Backyard Deck (00:02:13)
Pergola Installed From Kit (00:02:10)
Martini Bar Basement (20:01)
Gabion Garden Entertainment (20:00)
Build an Outdoor Fireplace (02:48)
Fireplace Upgrade (02:16)
Enhance Your Walkway (00:01:04)
Range Hood Installation (02:51)
Nature's Garden Helpers 10 Photos
Plants That Bloom in Summer 35 Photos
Homemade Pet Treats and Recipes 5 Photos
13 Mowing Tips for a Healthy Lawn 13 Photos
How to Install Doorway Molding 8 Photos
Under-Cabinet Lighting Choices 4 Photos
7 Budget Backsplash Projects 7 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.