Learn how to create a blast of rock art that combines color, shape and texture using painted pebbles.
More in Decorating
It’s a blast from the past with '70s-style rock art that combines color, shape and texture. Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza are full of crafty ideas guaranteed to rock your world! Planet Earth is the inspiration for amazing pebble paintings, stepping stones receive a personal touch, and paperweights and lucky bamboo bring a Zen presence to any desk.
Materials and Tools:
1/4" thick plywood (cut to desired size)
3/4" thick molding (enough to go around the plywood)
wood embroidery hoops (different sizes to fit the design)
small aquarium pebbles (different colors)
large amount of Mod-Podge or other découpage medium
finishing nails and hammer
1. Using a saw and miter box, cut mitered edges into the molding to create a frame for the plywood. Attach the molding to the outside edges of the plywood with finishing nails.
2. Fill any gaps between the plywood and the frame with wood putty. Next, apply a small amount of putty around the perimeter of the plywood where it meets the molding frame and let dry.
3. Paint the frame and plywood interior a color that will match the rocks. Based on the design pattern, paint each of the inside hoops with craft paint and let dry.
4. Place the hoops on the plywood according to the pattern and glue in place. If desired, cut the hoops apart, remove a section and place the hoops in an interlocking pattern with another hoop.
5. Fill the hoops with colored aquarium rocks. Fill the remainder of the plywood base with natural pebbles.
6. Pour découpage medium over the surface of the artwork. Brush the medium evenly over the frame to create a uniform sheen.
7. Let the découpage medium dry flat for 2 weeks. Attach a picture hanger to the back to hang or use flat as table decor. If hanging on the wall, use an anchor to support the weight.
Bath Crashers at Blog Cabin (00:02:24)
How to Organize Garage Storage (00:01:59)
Blog Cabin 2013 Location (00:01:57)
Night and Day Kitchen Makeover (00:03:58)
Backyard Mosaic Fountain (01:14)
2012 Master Bathroom Tour (00:02:02)
Installing Cabinets (00:60)
Bathroom Rehab to Impress (20:00)
Lawn Install, Deck, Play Area (01:43)
Bamboo Jungle (01:11)
10 Unique Ideas for Wedding Guest Books 10 Photos
10 Mediterranean-Inspired Outdoor Spaces 10 Photos
DIY Weddings: Table Setting Ideas 8 Photos
6 Simple DIY Headboards 6 Photos
Guide to Creating a Country Kitchen 3 Photos
DIY Weddings: Menu Ideas and Recipes 11 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.