Learn how to create a blast of rock art that combines color, shape and texture using painted pebbles.
More in Decorating
It’s a blast from the past with '70s-style rock art that combines color, shape and texture. Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza are full of crafty ideas guaranteed to rock your world! Planet Earth is the inspiration for amazing pebble paintings, stepping stones receive a personal touch, and paperweights and lucky bamboo bring a Zen presence to any desk.
Materials and Tools:
1/4" thick plywood (cut to desired size)
3/4" thick molding (enough to go around the plywood)
wood embroidery hoops (different sizes to fit the design)
small aquarium pebbles (different colors)
large amount of Mod-Podge or other découpage medium
finishing nails and hammer
1. Using a saw and miter box, cut mitered edges into the molding to create a frame for the plywood. Attach the molding to the outside edges of the plywood with finishing nails.
2. Fill any gaps between the plywood and the frame with wood putty. Next, apply a small amount of putty around the perimeter of the plywood where it meets the molding frame and let dry.
3. Paint the frame and plywood interior a color that will match the rocks. Based on the design pattern, paint each of the inside hoops with craft paint and let dry.
4. Place the hoops on the plywood according to the pattern and glue in place. If desired, cut the hoops apart, remove a section and place the hoops in an interlocking pattern with another hoop.
5. Fill the hoops with colored aquarium rocks. Fill the remainder of the plywood base with natural pebbles.
6. Pour découpage medium over the surface of the artwork. Brush the medium evenly over the frame to create a uniform sheen.
7. Let the découpage medium dry flat for 2 weeks. Attach a picture hanger to the back to hang or use flat as table decor. If hanging on the wall, use an anchor to support the weight.
How to Build a Retaining Wall (05:56)
Under-Deck Lattice (05:26)
Super Simple Laminate Ceiling (04:37)
Electrical Safety Devices (02:24)
Horse- and Gym-Themed Bedrooms (00:03:34)
Load-Bearing Beam Installation (02:54)
Door Frame and Jamb Removal (01:32)
Cabinets: Storage Accessories (00:02:08)
Flat-Screen TV Stand (02:48)
Under Stairs Closet (20:00)
Setting up a Basic DIY Toolkit 26 Photos
The Best Toys for Playful Cats and Dogs 13 Photos
How to Lay a Gravel Pathway 8 Photos
Teenage Girl's Goth-Style Bathroom 9 Photos
Pergola Pictures From Blog Cabin 2014 25 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.