Blog Cabin provides a checklist for selecting a new home site.
More in Blog Cabin
The process of any cabin construction begins with a well-thought-out site selection. Following are some tips that are applicable to site selection, whether it's a home or a vacation dream cabin.
1. Determine the budget. The property should be no more than 15 percent to 20 percent of the entire build budget.
2. Make sure the house will fit on the lot. Check local regulations for guidelines and allow for extras such as swing sets, playhouses, patios, special landscape features, etc.
3. Know the type of lot you want. For example, do you want a wooded lot? A lot close to water? Flat land or on a hillside? Corner lot?
4. Talk to your potential neighbors. Find out what they value in the neighborhood.
5. Check out other homes in the neighborhood. Will they help or hinder your property value?
6. How close are you to things that matter to you? For example: schools, grocery stores, interstate, airport, train tracks and planned developments.
Installing Carpet on Stairs (05:24)
The James House (00:03:27)
Installing Crown Molding (01:00)
Storage Shed (01:50)
Modern Wood Paneling System (04:52)
Best Shop Vacs for Woodworkers (04:23)
Build a Rustic Barn Door (00:01:00)
Easy Winterizing of Your Home (01:00)
Safe Outdoor Holiday Lighting (01:02)
Cutting Board 101 (02:43)
Kitchen Design Inspirations 10 Photos
10 Wedding Shower Games and Activities 10 Photos
11 Ways to Upcycle Old Sweaters 11 Photos
8 Steps to the Perfect Bathroom 8 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.