Blog Cabin provides a checklist for selecting a new home site.
More in Blog Cabin
The process of any cabin construction begins with a well-thought-out site selection. Following are some tips that are applicable to site selection, whether it's a home or a vacation dream cabin.
1. Determine the budget. The property should be no more than 15 percent to 20 percent of the entire build budget.
2. Make sure the house will fit on the lot. Check local regulations for guidelines and allow for extras such as swing sets, playhouses, patios, special landscape features, etc.
3. Know the type of lot you want. For example, do you want a wooded lot? A lot close to water? Flat land or on a hillside? Corner lot?
4. Talk to your potential neighbors. Find out what they value in the neighborhood.
5. Check out other homes in the neighborhood. Will they help or hinder your property value?
6. How close are you to things that matter to you? For example: schools, grocery stores, interstate, airport, train tracks and planned developments.
Cabinets: Antiquing (00:02:17)
How to Paint a Dresser (00:03:44)
Vinyl Siding Installation Tips (01:58)
Cool Countertops (00:30)
Electrical Safety (03:20)
Completed Sliding Bookcase (04:33)
Plasti-Dip Handle Grip Kits (00:01:18)
Outdoor Zen Den (03:50)
Installing a New Vanity (01:00)
Installing a Vessel Sink (01:00)
Blog Cabin: Top 12 Nooks to Take a Nap 12 Photos
How To Make a No-Sew Tutu Skirt 6 Photos
6 Ways to Embellish Your Staircase 6 Photos
How to Make Infused Simple Syrups 4 Photos
How to Make a Halloween Spider Cake 6 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.