Checklist for Selecting a Property
Blog Cabin provides a checklist for selecting a new home site.
The process of any cabin construction begins with a well-thought-out site selection. Following are some tips that are applicable to site selection, whether it's a home or a vacation dream cabin.
1. Determine the budget. The property should be no more than 15 percent to 20 percent of the entire build budget.
2. Make sure the house will fit on the lot. Check local regulations for guidelines and allow for extras such as swing sets, playhouses, patios, special landscape features, etc.
3. Know the type of lot you want. For example, do you want a wooded lot? A lot close to water? Flat land or on a hillside? Corner lot?
4. Talk to your potential neighbors. Find out what they value in the neighborhood.
5. Check out other homes in the neighborhood. Will they help or hinder your property value?
6. How close are you to things that matter to you? For example: schools, grocery stores, interstate, airport, train tracks and planned developments.
Log Cabin Primer
Consider these 14 essential things before committing to building or buying a log home.
The Basics on Bark Siding
Bark siding is known both for its durability and its natural look that blends with wooded surroundings.
Blog Cabin 2009: Shingles, Veneer, Doors and More Voting Choices
Take a look at the choices for shingles, veneer, doors and more for Blog Cabin 2009.
Blog Cabin 2009: Exterior Construction
View exterior construction details of Blog Cabin 2009.
Dream Log Homes
Check out beautiful cabins that'll inspire you to start designing your dream log home today.
Blog Cabin 2009: Homesite Voting Choices
Meadow view or mountain view? Browse the voting choices for Blog Cabin 2009.
A Look at Different Types of Lighting
There are many types of lighting that can be used in various rooms of the home or office.
Types of Wall Scrapers
Painting and wallpapering often require scraping off what's already there. Dozens of scrapers are available, and your choice should be determined by the task.
How to Select Exterior Paint Colors for a Home
Your home’s exterior is the way you greet the world — choose a color wisely with these expert tips.