Checklist for Selecting a Property
Blog Cabin provides a checklist for selecting a new home site.
The process of any cabin construction begins with a well-thought-out site selection. Following are some tips that are applicable to site selection, whether it's a home or a vacation dream cabin.
1. Determine the budget. The property should be no more than 15 percent to 20 percent of the entire build budget.
2. Make sure the house will fit on the lot. Check local regulations for guidelines and allow for extras such as swing sets, playhouses, patios, special landscape features, etc.
3. Know the type of lot you want. For example, do you want a wooded lot? A lot close to water? Flat land or on a hillside? Corner lot?
4. Talk to your potential neighbors. Find out what they value in the neighborhood.
5. Check out other homes in the neighborhood. Will they help or hinder your property value?
6. How close are you to things that matter to you? For example: schools, grocery stores, interstate, airport, train tracks and planned developments.
Log Cabin Primer
Consider these 14 essential things before committing to building or buying a log home.
The Basics on Bark Siding
Bark siding is known both for its durability and its natural look that blends with wooded surroundings.
Exterior Painting Preparation
When painting the exterior of a house, learn these valuable tips that can save you time by preparing properly for the project.
Frame by Frame: One-Story vs. Two-Story Framing
DIY Network offers information on the differences and similarities between framing a single-story home and a two-story home.
Blog Cabin 2009: Q&A with Phillip Richardson, Greenstone Builders Inc.
An expert answers building questions about the DIY Blog Cabin 2009.
Blog Cabin 2009: Construction Begins
Clearing of the site and pouring of the foundation are among the first steps in the construction process.
Blog Cabin 2009: Endless-View Lodge Voting Choice
Tour the floor plan of the Endless-View Lodge.
Blog Cabin 2009: Homesite Voting Choices
Meadow view or mountain view? Browse the voting choices for Blog Cabin 2009.
Blog Cabin Carpenter: Ryan James Heryford
Meet one of the carpenters responsible for building DIY Blog Cabin 2009.